The peer discussion will cover cases on myopia and sports, contact lenses and social media.
- To understand the risks of a high myope
- To give lifestyle advice appropriate to the patient’s needs
- To give appropriate advice on personal eye protection and appropriately advise patients on their occupational visual requirements
- To manage a patient’s expectations when fitting toric contact lenses
- To understand the designs and materials available in toric contact lenses and select an appropriate lens to trial
- To understand the main options of managing presbyopia with contact lenses
- To understand the ocular side effects of diabetes in relation to contact lens wear
- To identify and respond appropriately to patients’ fears and anxieties concerning their sight
- To convey knowledge in an informative way, explore patient expectations and check their level of understanding
- To ensure professional conduct in the online environment and maintain patient confidentiality when using social media
- To demonstrate knowledge of the GOC’s Standards of Practice with regards to maintaining appropriate boundaries and responding to complaints effectively and to demonstrate knowledge of the advice and guidance set by professional bodies
- To manage patients presenting with macular degeneration, establish their needs and visual function and make appropriate recommendations for management or referral.
Competencies covered: Ocular Disease; Standards of Practice, Optical Appliances, Communication, Contact Lenses.