The peer discussion session will cover three patients: each patient presents with different challenges and the aim of the session is develop a structured approach to managing each of these. The session is designed to hone delegates' history taking, and help delegates to ask patients pertinent questions.
The scenarios presented will tend to lead to a particular diagnosis, but are not supposed to be clear cut. At the end of the discussion around each patient there will be a short film shown from a relevant expert discussing how they would approach the history taking for such a patient, what questions they would find it useful for optometrists to ask, and how they would recommend managing such a patient.
Target group: Optometrist and Therapeutic prescriber
Optometrist: Communication, Standards of practice, Ocular disease and Binocular vision
Therapeutic prescriber: Options and Knowledge
- To be able to obtain an appropriate history from a patient presenting with various conditions
- To consider all the information provided by your patients
- To understand the risk factors for patients presenting with various conditions
- To recognise common ocular abnormalities and refer when appropriate
- To develop a management plan for the investigation of patients presenting with an uncomfortable eye or headaches
- To know how to manage a patient presenting with an anomaly of binocular vision