This webinar looks at cases of urgent referral to the hospital eye service. It is directed at community optometrists assessing patients and how to identify patients requiring urgent referral. It will focus on cases which are less well recognised by both optometrists and doctors, (including Horner’s Syndrome, urgent causes of diplopia such as third nerve palsies, Wernicke’s encephalopathy and Giant Cell Arteritis).
This session will allow an insight into how patients with neurological emergencies are assessed and managed in hospital eye services. It is important optometrists recognise their own limits and identify when patients require urgent treatment.
We will discuss the various investigations required, including pupil reactions and how they may be affected in Horner’s Syndrome and third nerve palsies and how some medications can be used to differentiate causes of anisocoria.
We will discuss patients with unusual causes of binocular vision anomalies including Wernicke’s encephalopathy and how to examine patients suspected of having papilloedema.
Target audience: Optometrist
Competencies covered: Ocular examination, Ocular disease, BV and Standards of practice
- To understand the investigation of pupil reations and the presentation of Horner’s Syndrome
- To understand the causes and management of various neurological conditions that require urgent referral (including Horner's syndrome, sudden onset diplopia and papilloedema)
- To understand the investigation and possible causes of sudden onset diplopia that may require urgent referral
- To understand how to examine effectively the optic disc to recognise abnormalities such as papilloedema
- To understand the signs and symptoms of patients presenting with ocular pathology requiring urgent referral
You will be able to claim one interactive CET point after attending this live session.
With thanks to our event sponsors
Terms and conditions
- To attend this webinar you must be a College of Optometrists' member.
- To obtain your interactive CET point you must ensure the following standards are met, you must:
- have a minimum attendance of 50 minutes
- complete a minimum of 4 of the 6 polls.
CET does not apply to students and pre-registration trainees.
How to join our webinar
See our joining instructions for more information.
What members say about our webinars
"Overall, excellent as always." MCOptom
"Excellent way to get interactive points!" MCOptom
What members say about Rhys
"Excellent session! Perfectly pitched for optometric practice and anatomy, very well explained."
"Outstanding session thank you. Excellent insights and very engaging delivery- one of the most informative sessions I've ever attended."