Coronavirus COVID-19 update
**The Museum is closed to visitors until further notice**
As of 6 January 2021, still no date has been set for the re-opening of the museum to visitors and researchers. We advise that we are not currently taking any bookings for dates prior to July 2021. All other museum services (enquiries, acquistions, sales, image-licensing etc.) are now operating and the curator is on-site at least some days a week.
- Please note, this is a working building whose primary purpose is not to serve as a tourist attraction, so please forgive us if we can only offer minimal visitor facilities.
- All visits are by pre-booked, curator-led guided tour. There is only one person who gives the tours and, inevitably, he cannot always be available at the museum every day. We are unable to offer same-day appointments. Please contact us to book your visit a minimum of 24 hours in advance (not including weekends).
- To request an appointment to visit the British Optical Association Museum at the College of Optometrists please contact the Museum Curator, either by the online form or by email, stating which tour you would like to book:
- Standard Museum Tour - a guided tour of the Sutcliffe Room and Giles Room.
Free of charge (donations invited, especially from groups). This tour typically takes about 45 minutes.
- Full Building Tour - a guided tour of the College meeting rooms as well as the Sutcliffe Room and Giles Room. £10 per person. Free for College Fellows and Members and their immediate guests, Members of the Museums Association, children aged 7 or under and persons registered as sight-impaired. N.B. This tour takes between 1.5 and 2 hours. Availability is limited because the meeting rooms are frequently in use for the College's other purposes.
If you simply ask to 'visit the museum' we will assume you mean the Standard Tour option. Whichever method of contact you choose please bear in mind that, for operational reasons, we cannot guarantee to offer you your first choice of appointment day or time. Please have an alternative date or time in mind. The College Meeting Rooms have a heavy programme of use and so, regrettably, Full Building Tours will not always be possible.
If emailing or leaving a voice message over the telephone, please give your name, contact details, the number of people in your party and the dates and times you would like to visit. If using a gmail account, please check your junk mail folder for any reply. It appears that some messages sent to us by gmail or Apple Mac email programs do not get through. Telephone if unsure!
Advance Notice of Closure Dates 2020
We regret that the museum will also be closed for operational reasons, including staff absences and College events, on the following dates this year:
The Museum is closed to visitors until further notice.
As of 6 January 2021 still no date has been set for the re-opening of the museum to visitors and researchers. We advise that we are not currently taking any bookings for dates prior to July 2021. Our online appointment request form is still accessible below if you want to enquire about long-term advance bookings, or you may telephone or email instead to discuss these.
In addition, no services of any kind will be available on the following dates:
- Friday 30 October 2020 (afternoon)
- Thursday 5 November 2020
- Tuesday 9 March 2021
The College and Museum closes down completely for the Christmas and New Year period, this year closing at midday on Thursday 24 December 2020 and re-opening at 10.00am on Monday 4 January 2021.
Remember that the museum is always closed at weekends and on UK public holidays.
We hope to take part in the next Open House London event on Sunday 19 September 2021.
Appointments should be available at most other times subject to levels of demand and subject to you giving us sufficient notice.
You are welcome to write, email or leave a voice message at any time.
Online Appointment Request Form