Coronavirus COVID-19 update
**The Museum will be closed to visitors from Wednesday 18 March 2020 until further notice**
As of July 2020, no date has been set for the re-opening of the College and it is envisaged that some public-facing services such as physical visitor access to the museum may resume later than that.
- Please note, this is a working building whose primary purpose is not to serve as a tourist attraction, so please forgive us if we can only offer minimal visitor facilities.
- All visits are by pre-booked, curator-led guided tour. There is only one person who gives the tours and, inevitably, he cannot always be available at the museum every day. We are unable to offer same-day appointments. Please contact us to book your visit a minimum of 24 hours in advance (not including weekends).
- To request an appointment to visit the British Optical Association Museum at the College of Optometrists please contact the Museum Curator, either by the online form or by email, stating which tour you would like to book:
- Standard Museum Tour - a guided tour of the Sutcliffe Room and Giles Room.
Free of charge (donations invited, especially from groups). This tour typically takes about 45 minutes.
- Full Building Tour - a guided tour of the College meeting rooms as well as the Sutcliffe Room and Giles Room. £10 per person. Free for College Fellows and Members and their immediate guests, Members of the Museums Association, children aged 7 or under and persons registered as sight-impaired. N.B. This tour takes between 1.5 and 2 hours. Availability is limited because the meeting rooms are frequently in use for the College's other purposes.
If you simply ask to 'visit the museum' we will assume you mean the Standard Tour option. Whichever method of contact you choose please bear in mind that, for operational reasons, we cannot guarantee to offer you your first choice of appointment day or time. Please have an alternative date or time in mind. The College Meeting Rooms have a heavy programme of use and so, regrettably, Full Building Tours will not always be possible.
If emailing or leaving a voice message over the telephone, please give your name, contact details, the number of people in your party and the dates and times you would like to visit. If using a gmail account, please check your junk mail folder for any reply. It appears that some messages sent to us by gmail or Apple Mac email programs do not get through. Telephone if unsure!
Advance Notice of Closure Dates 2020
We regret that the museum will also be closed for operational reasons, including staff absences and College events, on the following dates this year:
The Museum will be closed to visitors from Wednesday 18 March 2020 until further notice.
As of July 2020, no date has been set for the re-opening of the College and it is envisaged that some public-facing services such as physical visitor access to the museum may resume later than that. Our online appointment request form is still accessible below if you want to enquire about long-term advance bookings, or you may telephone or email instead to discuss these.
In addition, no services of any kind will be available on the following dates:
- Monday 31 August 2020 (Late Summer Bank Holiday)
- Friday 2 October 2020 - Closed due to an external lecture.
Christmas and New Year closure dates will be announced later in the year.
Remember that the museum is always closed at weekends and on UK public holidays.
Appointments should be available at most other times subject to levels of demand and subject to you giving us sufficient notice.
You are welcome to write, email or leave a voice message at any time.
Online Appointment Request Form